Temporary Work Visas

If you want to work temporarily in the United States as a nonimmigrant under the immigration law of the United States you need a specific visa based on the type of work you are going to perform.

Most temporary worker categories require that your prospective employer or agent file a petition, which must be approved by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) in the United States before you can apply for a worker visa.

The H-1B visa allows professionals in “specialty occupations” make a valuable contribution to the American economy. A maximum of 65,000 visas H-1B type are issued each year.

The H-1B visa is issued for up to three years but can be extended. This visa allows a maximum stay of six years in US. Holders of the H1-B visa can apply for a Green Card (Green Card) if a company sponsors your request.

Below is a comparison of the different types of employment-based visas:

  • Visa H-1B:

    For people in specialty occupations, requires applicants to have specific knowledge in a given field.

  • Visa H-2A

    Temporary or seasonal agricultural workers.

  • Visa H-2B

    Temporary or seasonal workers not at work in the agricultural sector.

  • Visa H-3

    Foreign nationals who receive training in the United States for purposes other than medical or academic education.

  • Visa I

    Representatives of the media.

  • Visa L

    Workers transferred within the company in the United States, (the) applicant must have worked abroad continuously for one year.

  • Visa O-1

    Persons of extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business or athletics.

  • Visa P-1

    Athletes internationally or members of recognized entertainment groups.

  • Visa P-3

    Artists and / or entertainers involved in the production of a cultural program.

  • Visa Q-1

    Anyone participating in a program of cultural exchange.

  • Visa R-1

    For religious workers.